Community Housing Support Worker
Position Title: Community Housing Support Worker
Reports to: Assistant Manager of Community Services
Schedule: 8:30am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday (70 hours bi-weekly)
Posting Closing Date: February 26, 2024 at 4pm
Pacifica Housing has been providing safe and affordable homes for almost 35 years. We are a rapidly growing organization dedicated to meeting the housing and support needs of our community. As such, we are committed to building our fast-growing team with a culture that supports our people and reinforces our core values of authenticity, leadership, respect, and social justice.
Pacifica is proud to be a Certified Living Wage Employer by The Living Wage for Families Campaign.
Position’s Primary Objectives:
This position provides housing related case management services for outreach clients who require ongoing support by:
• developing and managing client case plans to promote long-term housing stability;
• in an integrated team approach, collaborating with partner agencies and a variety of other community organizations to support the clients’ long-term housing stability;
• responding quickly and effectively to address issues, such as damages to a unit, conflict with a landlord or other issues that might potentially impact a tenant’s housing status;
• maintaining successful relationships with landlords including coordinating move-outs, storage, clean-up, damage repairs.
1. Using a strength-based client centered approach, provide comprehensive ongoing case development and management services to promote long-term housing stability, including:
· initiating a therapeutic relationship with new clients and assisting them in securing permanent private market housing;
· identifying participant strengths and barriers to stability and assisting participants in setting goals;
· working with participants to become familiar with each client’s situation and developing an individualized case/service plan including advocating for medical, financial and employment benefits, as needed;
· facilitating weekly support meetings with clients and providing ongoing support based on need;
· providing or facilitating the provision of training and education for Activities of Daily Living (ADL), life skills, financial literacy etc.;
· transporting and assisting clients to and from appointments, shopping and leisure activities, as needed;
· providing on-going updates in both oral and written form to the Manager on client case management issues.
2. In an integrated and coordinated team approach, engage with partner agencies and a variety of other community organizations to advocate for clients, share information, access resources, provide emergency referrals, and collaborate in joint initiatives, including:
· participating in Community Intake Meetings to assess new referrals from the CAA, collaborate on initiatives, and share information;
· providing referrals to appropriate community resources, agencies or government ministries as dictated by needs assessment;
· developing viable options for accommodation;
· providing emergency referrals to appropriate services (e.g. detox, EMHS, Hospital, police) and following up on referrals made on behalf of clients;
· liaising with private landlords to promote and secure housing for individuals living with mental health and/or addictions etc.;
· independently leading team initiatives, in collaboration with partner agencies, to case coordinate and problem solve.
3. Establish and manage successful relationships with Landlords to advocate on behalf of clients’ and support long-term housing stability, including:
· assessing clients’ stability in housing placements through regular and on-going contact with landlords;
· mediating complex issues between the landlords, other community service providers, stakeholders and clients;
· responding quickly and effectively to tenancy issues such as damages to the unit, problems with hygiene, bed bugs, hoarding etc.;
· coordinating and participating in client move out activities; and
· coordinating repairs and remediation of units with landlords within guidelines and approved budgets.
4. Maintain case files and perform a variety of other functions to support the successful delivery of the Outreach team, including:
· collecting and maintaining complete records and program statistics as required by partners, funders, and intensive case management best practices;
· maintaining concise and accurate client files including current case notes and information about each client’s progress with their respective case plans;
· assisting in problem solving and case co-ordination in collaboration with operations staff;
· representing Pacifica Housing in meetings and professional settings;
· attending and participating in case conferences, staff meetings, training sessions and workshops;
· assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures;
· contributing to ongoing learning and evaluation processes as part of the pilot for program improvements;
· assisting with fundraising and special events as required;
· reviewing, training and overseeing work assignments for practicum students or volunteer placements.