Lifebit Biotech Ltd
At Lifebit, we carve our own path. Trusted by Governments and world-leading pharma institutions and funded with over $60m, we are on a mission to harness the power of connected data and bring precision medicine to life globally. The key to saving human lives is providing researchers across the globe with the right data to develop more precise drugs faster.
Generating large amounts of biomedical data has become relatively straightforward. The challenge now is finding, accessing and analysing this sensitive data stored across thousands of disconnected locations. It is frustrating and painfully difficult for researchers.
Lifebit has created a patented, federated technology that brings analysis and computation to where data resides. This enables researchers to run analyses on multiple, distributed datasets in-situ, avoiding the risky movement of highly-sensitive data.
Lifebit powers pioneers in national precision medicine such as Genomics England (UK Government) and guides them on how to make their valuable data usable securely. Biotech and pharma leaders like Boehringer Ingelheim turn to Lifebit to connect them to this otherwise locked up data to obtain novel therapeutic insights.
Our technology is unmatched and momentum is on our side - but we need an exceptionally strong team to help boost Lifebit to incredible new heights.
The different teams’ stack includes:
- Backend: NodeJS, TypeScript, MongoDB
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS
- Frontend: React-Redux
- Machine Learning: Python, Pandas, Sklearn, Tensorflow
- Bioinformatics: Nextflow, Conda, Python, R, Bash, Docker, Singularity
As a Backend Engineer in our team, you will:
- Increase the capacity of the team behind the computational and analytical power of the CloudOS platform across multiple cloud providers
- Design and lead backend architecture implementation in an environment that fosters innovation and new ideas
- Contribute in shaping software engineering processes and ways of working, not just coding
- Own features across the entire life cycle, from inception to deployment in production
- Pick up new technologies and frameworks that suit the needs of products and users
- Demonstrate an interest in working with best practices and principles while contributing to them, in order to keep high quality standards and keep hell far away
- Work towards production deployment rapidly, be able to scale and to be monitored easily
- Enable feature improvements and delivery to be updated on a daily basis.
The role requirements below are just an indication of what we’re looking for - sometimes the perfect candidate is far more or less experienced than we anticipated. If you think that might be your case, please reach out and let us know!
You should have a good understanding of best practices of web development and be able to apply them in web development (ES6, JS). Specifically, you have:
- NodeJS experience
- Experience with Docker, AWS, GCP and ops over cloud
- Experience with Kubernetes is a bonus
- Proficiency with version control (Git)
- Proficiency with MongoDB
- Knowledge of AWS services (EC2, S3, IAM, VPC)
- API design and implementation experience
- Understanding of interactions and communication between services at scale (sockets, polling, monitoring)
- Familiarity with TDD
- Experience with other NoSQL databases
- Experience with HBase or ElasticSearch
- Experience in horizontally scaling microservices over AWS or Google Cloud
- Used communication services with message brokers (RabbitMq, Kafka, ...)
- Experience with services ingesting high volume of transactions and analytics
- A mindset ready to firefight against issues in real time
- Fluency in English
- Competitive salary
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Monthly team activities
- £1,000 per year personal budget for professional development ie Conferences, events, and training resources
- An international and diverse team
- Exposure to problems and applications in the cloud, data analysis, ML, life sciences, and big data fields