Liberty Mutual Canada
Senior Underwriting Specialist OR Senior Underwriter, Environmental
Department: National Industry Solutions
Location: Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver or Montreal
Reports To: AVP, Environmental Impairment Liability
Liberty Mutual Canada is the Canadian operation of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. We offer a broad suite of commercial insurance products and solutions to mid-size and large Canadian companies with Canadian, North American and/or multinational risks. Liberty Mutual Canada has over 250 employees and services its clients coast-to-coast from our regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax.
At Liberty Mutual Canada, diversity is about all of us. Our promise to you is a culture that is collaborative, rewarding and empowering. We are committed to attracting and retaining employees across all dimensions of diversity and believe that recognizing, appreciating, and applying the unique insights, perspectives and backgrounds of each person cultivates an atmosphere of trust and respect. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) is how we do business, and we’ll continue to invest in it to create a stronger global organization.
If you are unsure whether or not your experience matches every requirement below, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied and diverse perspectives and experiences that we can add to our team!
Our core values guide all of our decision-making and come to life through our benefits and employee programs. We offer:
- A premier flexible work environment (a combination of on-site & remote work) supporting our employees in their pursuit of a healthy work-life balance
- Competitive health & dental benefits plan
- Market-leading pension plan
- Competitive time off policy
- External education & tuition reimbursement programs
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- An opportunity to get involved and become a member of one of our national employee committees – social responsibility, employee engagement, diversity, equity & inclusion
We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Underwriting Specialist or Senior Underwriter to join our dynamic and expanding team! This pivotal position will bear responsibility for underwriting and driving profitable growth within our environmental impairment liability (EIL) portfolio. In addition, the successful candidate will have a crucial role in guiding, supporting, and training fellow team members to foster their continuous professional growth. They will cultivate strong relationships with essential broker partners and clients, while offering valuable insights to enhance regional strategies and operational enhancements. Although head office is in Toronto, this opportunity is open to individuals who live in Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of new and renewal EIL business, significantly contributing to the region’s profitable growth in target lines of business.
- Collaborate with internal teams (risk services, actuary, claims) to achieve profitable growth through technical research and relationship building.
- Significantly contribute to the region’s new business goals by maintaining a quality pipeline of prospects through targeted marketing, cross-selling and account rounding efforts with our key broker partners.
- Ensure proper risk selection, exposure review, setting of profitable terms and conditions, file documentation, adherence to underwriting guidelines and strategies.
- Support team’s overall underwriting knowledge through handling of referrals, sharing of best practices and formal/informal training.
- Coach, mentor, and train colleagues on underwriting, business development, negotiation skills, and other necessary soft skills to ensure their ongoing professional development.
- Responsible for relationship management with key brokers, clients, and prospects to ensure exceptional service and gather market intelligence to expand Liberty’s product and service offerings.
- Collaborate and manage multi-line account solutions while highlighting differentiators in product offerings and value propositions.
- Provide recommendations towards regional growth strategies, broker, and client plans.
- Propose alternate solutions to existing underwriting processes to improve service and simplify our business, and act as an early adopter of new systems and processes.
- Commitment to continuous learning and development through attendance at industry events, relevant seminars, and courses, and learning from existing Liberty expertise.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Follow Liberty’s Guidelines for Inclusion and encourage its use at Liberty. Build personal DE&I knowledge and act as an early adopter of new DE&I skills and processes to drive positive change.
Skills & Qualifications:
- A minimum of 4 years' experience in commercial underwriting, specifically with a focus on Environmental Impairment Liability (EIL) and/or Commercial General Liability (CGL).
- Strong understanding of CGL and/or EIL policy wordings and their implications in various claims scenarios.
- Post-secondary education including relevant Insurance designation(s)/education is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills.
- Self-starter with proven analytical skills and a proven track record in a solutions-oriented approach to underwriting that drives profitable growth.
- Comfortable with critical thinking and a growth mindset, with thoughtful consideration of diverse perspectives during decision-making and respectful of differences.
- Able to respectfully give and receive positive and constructive feedback.
- Effective at managing internal and external meetings with professionalism and clarity while driving mutual accountability for results.
- Effective at change management and adapting to new systems and processes.
- Innovator with a growth mindset, viewing roadblocks as opportunities for growth and supporting new idea testing, training, and ongoing monitoring of changes.
- Ability to collaborates with colleagues across business units and cross-jurisdictionally.
Liberty Mutual Canada is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees feel valued and supported. We are committed to building a workforce that is representative of the communities we operate in and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process due to a disability (which may be invisible or visible, temporary or permanent), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.