(Senior) Analytics Engineer (m|f|x)
We are looking for one professional or senior level Analytics Engineer /Data Engineer to join our Data Intelligence & Data Modelling team.
Currently, we are four Data engineers, one Product Owner, and one Team lead responsible for the interface between data producers and consumers, meaning the core data layer, self-service data products, and enterprise reporting on top of an AWS-based data lake. Our team is part of a department called Analytics & Intelligence and working closely with analysts, the data governance team, and the data platform department.
We are an English speaking team and department with a strong focus on collaboration. We work mostly from home, but regularly meet or work from the office. We expect our new team member to be passionate about data engineering, modelling, automation, and enabling self-service BI for analytics and other users in the company. In our culture, it is important to have a growth mindset, be a team player, and regularly take part in pair programming and knowledge sharing.
This position is available full-time or part-time.
About your new role
- You take end-to-end responsibility for the full stack of an AWS-based core data layer and data products together with your team.
- You support the improvement of data processing and modeling, as well as definition and reporting of enterprise KPIs.
- You support stakeholders and internal customers with their analyses and dashboards.
- You solve problems and iterate on existing structures in pair or mob programming mode.
- You explore new technologies and brainstorm solutions with our team in our weekly learning Fridays.
Skills & Requirements
Disclaimer: you do not need to fulfill 100% of the requirements, please apply if you have 75% of the must-haves.
We are fully aware that valuable experience comes in many forms. If you only partially fulfill some criteria, please apply anyway or reach out to Katharina Bergunde (team lead) on LinkedIn to clarify. We are open to unusual profiles and motivated applicants.
- 3+ years hands-on experience in data engineering/software development/Business Intelligence/Analytics Engineering or similar - basically we are building our data products from scratch and we expect you to be part of building ETL pipelines and data products from the ground up.
- Passionate about processing (big) data and experience with processing frameworks (preferred experience in Spark) and integrating them into dimensional models; experience with big data architecture on AWS.
- Proficient in Spark, Python, and SQL, ideally also Scala - relevant experience in business context is desirable.
- Background or experience in analytics (ideally e-commerce, but not a must) and experience in translating business requirements into code.
- Being a team player with a strong growth mindset (constant learning and development); open, honest, direct, proactive, respectful communication and feedback; proficient in English.
Is a plus, but not necessary:
- Solid understanding of good practices in software engineering (such as pair programming, testing, clean code)
- Familiar with CI/CD, TDD, GitHub and orchestration (e.g. airflow)
- Experience with containers, configuration management, and infrastructure-as-code (e.g. cdk)
- Experience of working in an agile mode (we work in scrum with the flexibility of choosing pair or mob programming or individual work on a task basis)
- Ability to communicate complex modeling and engineering topics to experts and non-experts and being willing to enable them for self-service analytics
At idealo you can expect
- You need vacation? We offer you 30 days of vacation. Not enough? You can buy an additional 15 days every year by converting your salary and it's seen as a positive thing.
- You want to further your education? We take your personal development goals seriously and, in addition to our idealo Learning Hub, eLearning offerings (e.g., Udemy, DataCamp), coaching & mediation, we also offer you the opportunity to benefit individually from additional learning and development budget.
- You are a parent of a child that’s in need of daycare? Your needs are well looked after with our company KiTa which enables you to keep focused on work with no worries. In addition, you are paid in full for up to 30 sick days per child per year and if you are a single parent, even up to 60 sick days.
- And what else is there? Of course, success must be celebrated! In addition to team events, you can also expect big company events and other moments of organized connection with others in the company and your team throughout the year!
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Today, with 1.5 million visits per day, 50,000 shops, and more than 330 million product offers, we are one of the most popular German e-commerce websites and one of the leading European shopping and comparison platforms. We are active as a price comparison platform in six countries (Austria, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, and Spain).
We are located in the heart of Berlin and offer a unique idealo spirit. Your ideas are the driving force that moves our business forward. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a degree of disability are irrelevant.
If you are passionate about improving the world of online shopping alongside almost 1000 idealos from 60 nations, apply with us today.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process. Our office is accessible without steps for the inclusion of people with disabilities.
Work in the office and from wherever you like.
idealo allows you to work from wherever you are. As part of our Hybrid Work at idealo, you decide whether and how often you work from our office in Berlin or remotely because you live in another city within Germany or the café down the street makes the best coffee cream. Only about once a month, there will be mandatory office days to bring idealos together at company, department or team level, including stunning views from our roof terrace. Find out what Hybrid Work at idealo is all about here and in a personal conversation in the interviews!