Greater Valley YMCA
Suburban North YMCA Lifeguard
CAMP IS COMING! APPLY NOW TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
Summer Camp Counselors must be 18 years or older and ready to have the Best Summer Ever!
- $11.00 to $15.00 per hour
Expected Hours Per Week
- Seasonal Part-time
- Monday - Friday
- 12 pm - 3:30 pm
- Start Date June 17, 2024
Who you would report to
- Childcare Director
Where You Would Be Working
- GVYMCA- Suburban North Branch: 880 Walnut Street, Catasauqua, PA 18032
What We Are Looking For
We are looking for dynamic individuals that desire a role where they can help make an impact on our communities. Curious. Growth-mindset. Member-obsessed. We search for talented people who each bring unique skills and behaviors that will help us continue our Y traditions and build the Y of tomorrow. Whether you’re in marketing, finance, or community-facing roles, our people bring relentless passion, fast learning, and a culture of innovation to every dimension of their work. Every member of our team is open to new perspectives, willing to navigate uncertainty, and brings humanity and radical candor to the table at all times.
A Day in the Life as a Lifeguard
As a Lifeguard your primary responsibility is to ensure the safety of the people who are using our pool. Lifeguards also build positive relationships with our members and are social and engaging.
Responsibilities As a Lifeguard
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Accurately completes related reports as required
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area including the sauna, whirlpool, and steam room
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed reporting any concerns to the Aquatics Director
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action
- Performs other duties as assigned
Create Your Y Story
At the Y, you can feel more connected to your community, meet new people, expand your knowledge base, and experience one of the most rewarding jobs by helping support our mission of developing individuals, families, and communities, while having fun in a challenging and dynamic atmosphere.
Who We Are
The Greater Valley YMCA (GVYMCA or GVY) is a volunteer-led, nonprofit, community organization. The Y is committed to strengthening community by positively changing lives every day. At each of our branches, we concentrate our efforts in three areas: Healthy Living, Youth Development, and Social Responsibility. And we do so in a way that upholds the Y’s traditional family values of Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Honesty.
For over 100 years, the Y has made tangible differences in the communities of Allentown, Bethlehem, Catasauqua, Easton, Forks, Nazareth, those comprising the Slate Belt region and the Lehigh Valley as a whole. Founded as individual YMCAs as early as 1897, the following branches of the Greater Valley Y merged together between 2010 and 2015: the Nazareth YMCA, the Suburban North Family YMCA, the Family YMCA of Easton, Phillipsburg & Vicinity and the Bethlehem YMCA. In 2014, the Forks YMCA Education Center was established. The Slate Belt branch was opened in 2015. In January 2017, the Allentown YMCA joined the Greater Valley YMCA.
What it’s Like to Work Here
Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at GVY is “Fulfilling.” Our team members all share a positive attitude, problem solving abilities and patience, enabling them to provide excellent customer service even during fast-paced shifts. Our culture, plus continuous opportunities for growth, have resulted in positive impacts for our communities. Don’t miss out on this rare opening with us!
The GVYMCA Is For Everyone
It's our mission to unleash the potential in every team, and we know that teams perform best when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. It is the unique contributions of all GVY'ers that drive our success, and we're committed to building a culture where everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work and be recognized for their efforts. To that end, we are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination for everyone. You can read more about our commitment to diversity and mission here